Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Spring 2018

This feels like a proper spring - gradual warming and lots of rain. Saturday I harvested and cooked the first rhubarb of the season. And there are lots of fresh young nettles for my porridge. The lettuce seeds I sowed after arriving back from our hibernation on March 14th are now ready for planting out. Cabbage seedlings are potted on and tomatoes are 3 or 4 inches high. Yesterday I started trays of amaranth, sunflowers, sweet corn and popping corn, a few cucumbers and zucchini.
Higglety and Pigglety are laying about 10 eggs a week between them (well, under them). I was thinking that when they outlive their usefulness, stuffed they would make a fine pair of ornaments for the mantle...

2 comments:

prgranny said...

What fun! Looks like spring is truly sprung there. (No cows up in the sky, I hope!)
-Wx

Q said...

Beautiful portrait of Higglety & Piggelty. They do resemble some Staffordshire.
Rhubarb already? Lucky duck!